Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A New Beginning

Every summer for the past 7 years I would attend Hume Lake Christian Camps in Central California. Always coming home with that "spiritual high." This year was a little different. At the beginning of this summer, I got a second job. For a while, I would work, eat, sleep, repeat. It got very tiring and exhausting very fast. No social life, my relationship with my family, friends and boyfriend where aching. I needed a break and I wanted to get away. I have family that lives in Colorado, so my plan was to go stay with them for a couple weeks. I called and called, but no one would answer. I got frustrated, thinking, "All I want to do is get away. Why is no one answering?" I tried one more time. Still no answer. About 2 hours after that, my youth pastor calls me and says that they need a girl camp counselor and that I'm going. Having two jobs, one I had just started so I was really nervous about requesting time off not knowing if I would be able to or not, but I knew if I did, that's where God wanted me. I prayed and got it off! I was so excited! I realized that I need to learn to let go of my plans and focused on the plans God has for me. His plans are far more greater than mine. 

Dale told me I would be with the freshman girls. I was pretty nervous about it wondering do I have what it takes? Do I have the wisdom, strength, love, and patience needed for these girls? Throughout the week, through all the tears, the laughter and joy, God was definitely present. He revealed Himself over and over again. He moved in the lives of everyone there, including mine. It was more than incredible. I was forced to get out of my comfort zone and to be strong and courageous. I made lots of new friends and got closer with old ones that I know will last a lifetime. Like I said earlier, I didn't necessarily get that spiritual high coming down the mountain, but as the Lord spoke through the speaker, it did give me a new perspective on life. I realized the relationship I needed to break away from, things in my daily life I needed to change and the faith I needed to grow. 

We went threw Exodus and towards the end the speaker talked about how God is going to take us to the desert. He is the King of the Desert and we need to realize that He is enough. He is going to take us to the nothing in order to take make us something. I realized that my home town was part of the desert. That I need to take a stand for my faith and to start being more of a light. I purchased a book while I was there that would help me with just that called, "The Faith Dare" It's pretty much a 30 day challenge to live out your faith every day, in every situation. To make you more aware of his presence, to break self-reliance, and to trust in God alone. To live a life that pleases him. I am really excited to begin reading this book. To have a new beginning. To open up and start live in the power of God's word. Let's do this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment