Thursday, August 30, 2012

Follow the Leader

"Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, 
but will have the light of life."
John 8:12

Each day is a ministry opportunity, a chance to do all that God has called us to do for that twenty-four-hour period. Sure, for me it might be serving someone popcorn at the movie theater, tearing their tickets to allow them into a movie or making someone's coffee and getting a pastry they have been drooling over. But in that  minute and a half is a chance to build a relationship. Make them smile, laugh, encourage and to show God's love. But no matter what is in front of us, there is a deeper purpose to the day-to follow after Christ and pay attention to how he wants us to live in the moments of life.

"As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him."  Mark 1: 16-18 

In the passage from Mark, the disciples had to do two things to fulfill God's call:     
  1. Come: to approach or advance towards
  2. Follow: to pursue or go after
We must too do those two things! A lot of the time we get these great ideas, dreams, and goals and we go for it! We are always on the go, until one day we just run out of steam. Personally, working two jobs keeps me busy most of the week. I always like to be on the go and have something to do. On days off, I want to get out of town, go to the beach, go hiking or to the zoo. Knowing my body needs to rest, I still try and fit everything in until... I run out of steam. But after reading this chapter, I know that there is a better way. Asking myself the question, What if I made it a daily practice to come and follow? What would that look like if I applied that to my life? Not only waking up, putting my plans or goals aside and allowing God lead me where I need to go that specific day, but also taking the time to listen to what he has to say. Staying busy isn't always the best thing, so for me it is going to take some self discipline, to take a stand and set aside time for my Heavenly Father each day.

We must learn to place God first, then listen and watch for what He would have us to do or become. Maybe some girl friends want to go have a night in the city, go to the beach or there is a party that night. If you can't find your keys, car doesn't start or some sort of obstacle gets in the way of your plans, not saying that you shouldn't do that certain thing, but take a second and honestly look over your day. Have you had that one on one time with God? Is your heart in the right place or is that a place where you are able to honor God? 

I would encourage you to go to a place where you can be alone. It can be anything from a locked bathroom, sitting in the car, beside a field, to in your room or even a coffee shop. Just find a place. While in that place, for ten minutes thing about what it would mean to follow God rather than yourself. Think of things that might change. Now I dare you to do the very thing God first spoke to you, the thing in front of you that you have probably put off. I double dare you to see all things today as spiritual in nature, even though they are physical, practical acts. God is a life changer, a people mover, a restorer to all things. We have a choice each day; we have to come and follow.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11 




No comments:

Post a Comment